Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Things Turn Around Fairly Quickly: Almost Can #5


Last week I was a water skier, trying to catch up to the boat. And that's hard!

This week so far, it seems I might be riding on the boat again. Oh, Dear Readers, the BOAT!

Let's review, last week, mostly, I was missing deadlines at my new job. My internet connection broke (I work online), my bike chain broke, and one of my classes for next semester got canceled. Oh, and let's not forget the earbuds!

This weekend, the biggest thing in ten years or so happened to me. I acquired a whole 'nother human being's book collection. A good one. A goldmine of books.

See, many years ago, I lost all of my books and my records and cds in a metaphorical fire. And nothing in my life has made me sadder. The metaphorical fire: no biggie. But the books and the records, they were part of who I am. (Like that's so great). If you came into my apartment, you would get to know me pretty well, by looking at my book and record (and cd) shelves. But for the last ten years, people who have come into my apartment go: "Wow, you have a lot of books."

And I have to go, "No, no, no, those are only the books I wasn't able to sell. I have not, in general, read them, and they are not representative of me."

It's a weird way to start an evening.

Anyway, I'm taking my leftover books out of my shelves, and I'm putting these other books into them. You can see the shelf up above, with the first batch of the new books in, on the top shelf. And slowly, I am feeling more and more like myself.

The earbud thing went away as quickly as it came. The Walgreen's took back the weirdo earbuds without any question whatsoever. I even begged them to look. "Please, look at the weirdness," I begged, but to no avail. I bought two of the old kind of earbuds I used to have. Two sets of earbuds: ten bucks.

Bikechain still remains unfixed. But Lee Chae tells me that even a whole new chain is not very much money. That is good news to the ears.

Today, they replaced that class I lost.

In a little while, I am going to eat can #5. I am going to make a batch of greens, and then I am going to dump can #5 on top of it, mixed with some salt, peppers, and jalapenos. Obviously, I will let you know how things turn out.

Oh, if it helps, today I went running for the first time in, like, a week, and I think I pulled my heiny.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I really miss Walgreen's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh--did you get Dani's books? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Si, John, they are/were/are Dani's. I was the lucky, lucky, lucky winner.

    ReplyDelete