Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Few Things About Jeff Dembowski



A few weeks, or months ago, this blog reached out and touched a long lost stranger, Jeff Dembowski. I knew him, I don't know, maybe as early as kindergarten, and we were friends until he moved away to, uh, Philadelphia sometime in junior high. He could do art stuff really good.
He shows up in one of my very first stories. Here's the line: "Jeff Dembowski draws good, but he threw up in the hallway and had to go home before art. He likes the art teacher because they are both Polish."
To be honest, I can't remember if he threw up in the hallway or not, but somebody did.
Now, you won't believe this, and neither will he. I haven't seen or heard from him since he moved, and that was a long time ago. But I think of him kind of often. I think of everybody kind of often. I've got a lot of time to think.
But, he sent me this teeny message in the comments section, "Hart's Hill?" which was the name of the elementary school we went to.
I am telling you, I thought of Jeff as I was writing that very post. And here's why. As I've been writing this blog, I've tried to think of sophisticated ways to talk about food, and haven't been having much luck. And I remembered that one day, at lunch, Jeff asked me what kind of sandwich I had, and I said peanut butter. And he said peanut butter and what? And I said, nothing, just peanut butter.
And he went, what? just plain old, dry peanut butter!
I thought that dry was a rather sophisticated term for someone so young to be using.
And then I get that comment in the bloggy comment section!
Small, weird world. Even smaller.
This week, I have some of my "art" in an art show. Wait. Some of my art. I only have two things, and they are shoebox dioramas. They can be seen at the Sonny Smith, 100 records thing at Gallery 16, 3rd and Bryant, San Francisco.
I guess I am sort of excited, but I did not go to the opening. And it happens to be because of Jeff Dembowski.
Maybe in the fourth, or fifth, or sixth grade, there was this art contest. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Halloween. And I entered it, because I had a great idea. And I made my thing, and oh my god I was proud. I was so excited! But when we went, and I saw all the other stuff that was there, I realized how ridiculous, and awful my thing was. You think I'm just having some psychological self-esteem thing, but believe me, if you could see it, as I do, often, in my mind, you would agree.
Jeff Dembowski, if I remember, won that art contest. He made, I think, a castle, and it had pine cones and sparkles. It was beautiful.
I've had this theme occur many times in my life. You're doing your thing, and you think it's great. Your small group of friends think it's great, and they think you're great for doing it, whatever your thing is.
And then, you get out in the real world, around everybody else, and you realize that your stuff is just not on the same level, and you go home.

Today, at home, I had me a nice salad with spinach, fennel, sunflower seeds, some flax seed, and to make it not dry, Jeff Dembowski, lemon juice and olive oil.

Oh yeah, and a can of tuna. Can #11: best by aug 20 2009 VAL2E 1ZSWG 09:56. One can left.

I will let you know, as always, dear readers, how things go.


8 comments:

  1. Lotsa tuna synchronicity. Best not to have your food dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a mystical marvel.

    Guilderland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,

    Next time, go to your opening.

    Oddly enough, I am eating tuna as I write this. It's a bit dry.

    Jeff Dembowski

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you find other edible goodies to recover and blog about? Hey, Jeff, I'm Polish too! How do ypu pronounce Jeff in Polish? Jeff is not a Poliosh name...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, dry. Do you remember that? That happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do remember that. My recollection of the details differ slightly. No pine cone castle with sparkles. My entry was a mummy. A really nice mummy. I, however, did not win the contest. My mummy was withdrawn from the competition and placed on display in the "Haunted House". Somebody else won. I remember being disappointed. We can chat about it sometime if you'd like. JD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I remember that exactly. I can picture your mummy. And I remember that you got lifted out. I'm telling you. The winner was a little castle, with pine cone trees, and sparkles on them.
    I would love to chat.
    I am about to post an entry about my smell. I hope you will continue to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what happened, Jeff. Your entry was better than the contest. I think they even paid you for using it in the haunted house!

    ReplyDelete