Thursday, October 29, 2009

Can #3: Warren Zevon's (Tuna) Fish Burrito




Can #3: best by Aug 20 2009. VAL2E 1ZSWG 09:56 (I should mention that this can is slightly dented, probably by the original owners)

Sometimes, you have to improvise and go with what you have in the house. Pickings have been kind of slim lately. Then, someone named Lee made a comment and all of a sudden an idea came to me (like a bolt of tuna-lightning) and I was off and running.

I love Warren Zevon and I am, and never have been, afraid to admit it. His chili recipe can be found here: http://www.cookingwithjule.com/Warren_Zevon_Chile_Recipe.htm . It has changed my chili life. Mostly through one tiny sentence in the recipe, "Put in plenty of cumin and keep putting it in. Believe it." Can't you just hear him saying: "Believe it." I have never looked back.

So, because these are some of the great ingredients I have in the house, today I am going to attempt a "Zevon-chili-spiced" (tuna) fish burrito, made with mozzarella cheese ('cause that's the kind of cheese he has).

My buddy, James Kirk, and I have been comparing weight-loss notes. He lost 25 pounds because he quit drinking for 4 months! One of the reasons I have weight is drinking, and eating late at night. But also because sometimes I will own flour tortillas, cheese and a microwave.

Anyway, 1 or 2 big flour tortillas
some mozzarella cheese
a can of tuna, spiced like warren zevon's chili...that's with new mexico chilis, a little cayenne, cumin, garlic salt, black pepper and a little oregano. I also put in some of those great red jalapenos from last week.

Take the tuna mix, spread it on the tortilla on a plate, put some cheese on top of the tuna and heat it up in the microwave (you heard me).

Take it out and top it with, like actual fish tacos, a little tartar sauce, some hot sauce (God bless, Tapatio) and, also like fish tacos, a little shredded cabbage. Believe it.

He says: "It's delicious!"

What an Excitable Boy!

3 comments:

  1. But did you go down to dinner in your Sunday best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool. I still vote for tuna nachos, though. Other ideas: tuna stew, tuna tart, tuna soup, tuna hash, tuna smoothie possibly? Hi John!

    ReplyDelete